Updating 1970s ranch house hingis dating
• Replace the front door with a pair of glass doors (9-lite) or stain-grade wood stile and rail design; consider a carriage door design for the garage in stain-grade wood. • Transform your landscape with new patio trees in odd-numbered groupings and colorful, low maintenance plantings.
• Wrap porch support posts with decorative panels; use wood, stone or brick for base.
• Replace outdated siding with fiber cement board, stucco, stone veneer, brick or a combination of two or three.
Architect Cliff May is credited with building the first ranch-style home in San Diego in 1932, followed by California real estate developer Joseph Eichler’s mass-produced version that become so popular in the 1950s.
After World War II, simple and economical ranch-style homes were mass-produced to meet the housing needs of returning soldiers and their families.
• Consider flat lightweight concrete tile or Spanish clay tile roofing.
• Replace outdated windows with good quality wood or metal clad wood windows and doors.