Essex county council trading standards website
In May 1946 the station was taken over by 60 Group as a satellite of Watton Radio Warfare Establishment, and some Ansons and Lancasters were positioned here.
The RAF left Newmarket Heath in Summer 1945 but after 1946 light aircraft continued to deliver people to the races at this airstrip.
Major Pereira was now left in command of the Gibralter barracks, designated as depot of the Suffolk Regiment once again. In 1948 its training role would transfer to Colchester.
With conventional building materials and skilled labour in short supply, one solution was to turn to factory made sectional buildings which were pre-fabricated so that they could be assembled, like a kit, on site.
The Gliding School of the ATC would move to RAF Honington.
On 6th January 1946, Arthur Boreham was posted to the 3rd Infantry Training Centre at Bury St Edmunds.
The people had changed and a way of life had disappeared. Rationing continued, families were still separated in many cases, and homes were destroyed.
Long term issues replaced the day to day survival of the war, and the economy was totally geared to munitions production and had to be turned around.